My Nonna was an amazing cook! You walked into her house and love filled the room through the aroma of what was on the stove or in the oven. One of my favorite things Nonna taught me to make was pasta sauce, she would make it for almost every family birthday party we had. Serve it on pasta, lasagna, chicken parmesan (without the ground meat), stuffed shells or more; it is a staple for so many amazing dishes! Perfect this recipe and you will never disappoint.
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey, veal, pork as desired
- 8 cups combined of canned or homemade tomatoes (petite cut, puree, crushed, sauce)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth OR ½ cup wine
Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, add ground meat and brown. Add petite cut or crushed tomatoes and cook until tender. Smash large tomato pieces with masher, then add puree or sauce to the mix. Add sugar, salt, pepper, basil, parsley, and broth or wine. Simmer for approximately 1 hours.